7 Tips for Safe Winter Driving
Driving in winter weather can be challenging, especially for those who are not used to it. Snow, ice, and freezing temperatures can make roads slick and difficult to navigate, and it's important to be prepared and exercise caution when driving in these conditions. Here are some tips to help you stay safe on the roads this winter:
- Make sure your vehicle is ready for winter. This includes having good tires with sufficient tread, checking your brakes, and making sure your battery is in good working order. You should also keep your gas tank at least half full to help prevent the fuel line from freezing in extreme cold temperatures.
- Slow down and leave plenty of space between you and other vehicles. It takes longer to stop on slippery roads, so it's important to allow for extra braking distance.
- Use your brakes gently to avoid skidding. If you have to stop on a slippery surface, pump your brakes gently to avoid locking them up and give yourself plenty of room to come to a stop.
- Use low gears when driving uphill. This will help you maintain traction and prevent your wheels from spinning.
- Don't use cruise control on slippery roads. It's best to maintain full control of your vehicle when driving on icy or snowy roads.
- Stay alert and keep an eye out for other vehicles and pedestrians. Winter weather can make it harder to see, so be sure to use your headlights and turn signals as needed.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car. This should include items such as a blanket, flashlight, first aid kit, and any other supplies you might need in case of an emergency.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that you and your passengers stay safe on the roads this winter. Remember to always drive defensively and pay attention to the conditions around you, and you'll be well on your way to a safe and successful winter driving season.
Products sold through First International Insurance are not a deposit, not insured by FDIC or any other government agency, not guaranteed by First International Bank & Trust, may lose value. Coverage is not bound until you have spoken to an agent.
Who is FIBT?
First International Bank & Trust (FIBT) is a full-service, family-owned, independent community bank serving a wide range of communities across North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Arizona.