Navigating Your Next Home Purchase
At First International Bank & Trust, we understand that buying a new home can be an exciting yet complex process, even if you have already experienced the joy of homeownership. Here are some valuable insights to help make your next home purchase as smooth and informed as possible.
- Understand Your Unique Position. As a move-up buyer, you bring a distinct advantage to the homebuying process. You already have firsthand experience navigating the complexities of buying a home, including securing a mortgage, understanding closing costs, and reviewing contacts. However, it’s essential to recognize the differences you might encounter this time around, such as coordinating the sale of your existing home while searching for a new one. Our team is here to guide you through this process and help you make informed decisions.
- Evaluate Your Current Mortgage. Before embarking on your move-up journey, make sure to assess your current mortgage and financial situation. Our experts can review your existing mortgage terms and help you determine whether refinancing, selling, or using home equity will be the most advantageous strategy for you. Understanding the financial implications and exploring your options will ensure you’re well-prepared for the next steps.
- Budget for Your New Home. When upgrading to a new home, consider your budget carefully. You have likely experienced some changes in income, lifestyle, and housing needs since your last purchase. Our mortgage specialists can help you evaluate your financial capacity, establish a realistic budget, and prequalify you for a mortgage loan. This way, you’ll have a clear understanding of your buying power and be able to confidently search for your dream home.
- Sell Your Current Home. Selling your existing home can significantly impact your move-up journey. We recommend connecting with a trusted real estate agent early in the process to discuss the market conditions, pricing strategies, and effective marketing techniques. By strategically timing the sale and coordinating the closing dates of your current and new home, you can seamlessly transition into your new abode. Our team can provide recommendations for reputable real estate professionals in your area if needed.
- Mortgage Options and Loan Preapproval. As an experienced homeowner, you might have a variety of mortgage options available to you. Our mortgage specialists will guide you through the loan programs that suit your needs, whether it’s a conventional loan, FHA loan, VA loan , or another specialized product. Additionally, we recommend obtaining a loan prequalification early in the process. Prequalification not only strengthens your negotiating position but also streamlines the buying process and gives you a clear understanding of your affordability range.
- Explore Neighborhoods and Home Features. Since you've already owned a home, you likely have a better understanding of the features and location that align with your lifestyle. However, it is always beneficial to revisit your preferences and establish a clear list of must-haves and nice-to-haves for your new home.
- Stay Organized and Informed. We encourage you to create a timeline outlining key milestones, such as listing your current home, attending open houses, submitting offers, and coordinating closing dates. Our mortgage experts will provide you with updates on interest rates, marketing trends, and industry changes to ensure you’re making informed decisions throughout the process.
Contact one of our mortgage lenders today for more information or to begin the prequalification process.
Who is FIBT?
First International Bank & Trust (FIBT) is a full-service, family-owned, independent community bank serving a wide range of communities across North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Arizona.